APRIL RECIPE: CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
This recipe is a great Easter dessert – you could decorate with mini eggs, or if the kids have been given too many easter eggs and you want to use up some of the chocolate (Shhhhh).
- 200g biscuits of your choice (I used a mix of hobnobs and digestives – gluten free digestives and hobnobs work just as well as regular ones).
- 70g butter or vegan alternative (use a block eg stork vegan baking block or flora plant b+tter) rather than a spreadable margarine as that won’t hold together so well.
- 225g Dark chocolate
- 200g cream cheese (eg philadelphia) or a vegan cream cheese
- 75g double cream (or vegan alternative, I used plant based Elmlea here)
- 80g caster sugar
- If you are using milk chocolate in place of dark, you can reduce the sugar by 25g.
- Take a 18cm cake tin (preferably one with loose base).
- Cover the base with foil, and grease the sides with butter.
- Crush the biscuits into crumbs. Either in the blender, or place in a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin (more satisfying for sure).
- Melt the butter/vegan butter in a saucepan.
- Mix the melted butter into the biscuit crumbs and press firmly into the cake tin. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Break the chocolate up into squares and place in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate has melted.
- Place to one side to cool.
- Mix the cream cheese, sugar and cream together in a separate bowl. When the chocolate is cool to the touch, mix it into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the biscuit base. Decorate (here with edible flowers and coconut) you can use freeze dried fruit, those little silver balls, grated white chocolate etc.
- Place in the freezer for 2 hours to set. Then remove from the tin and place on a serving plate and into the fridge until you’re ready to eat it. I normally give it at least an hour in the fridge.
Thankyou to everyone who has visited my online shop in the last month. I have FINALLY worked out how to add a blog, so look out for extra recipes coming soon