August Recipe – Vegan Pancakes and Mocha Milkshake
This month I’m featuring one of my lockdown achievements! Whilst others were learning spanish, making sourdough bread and watching everything on netflix, I put all my effort into nailing two recipes which have had me beaten for many years and finally I’ve come up with something worth sharing. First one was homemade Houmous. Recipe for that coming next month, but for now we have :
Makes 8 or 9 american style pancakes.
I must have tried every vegan recipe out there, from soaking my chia seeds to make something resembling frogspawn, to one that had over 19 ingredients!
As always with my cooking, this is much more simple. They freeze really well, so you can just take them out of the freezer the night before and leave to defrost overnight.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 banana (around 90g)
- 1 cup vegan milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Put the flour, banana and vegan milk into a blender and blitz.
- Pour into a bowl. Put the baking powder on top and then put the vinegar directly on to the baking powder. You should get a bit of fizzing!
- Mix the powder/vinegar into the mixture and leave for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile get your frying pan and lightly grease it. (I use light olive oil).
- Turn the heat to medium high (my hob goes from 1-9 and I use 6)
- Pour some of the mixture into the pan in a pancake shape.
- After a couple of minutes little bubbles will start to appear. When this happens, flip it over and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes. You want them slightly golden brown, so if not just flip them back until you get the desired result.
- Place on a sheet of kitchen roll once cooked, (to absorb excess liquid so you don’t get soggy pancakes) and repeat the above process until all of the mixture is used up.
Eat. Most people think maple syrup is a must, but I prefer peanut butter!
MOCHA MILKSHAKE (serves 1)
If you like coffee and you like milkshakes you really can’t go wrong with this one.
Feel free to switch it up and use chocolate milk instead of regular and you can add vanilla, hazelnuts or anything else you like too.
- 150 ml strong black coffee
- 150 ml milk of choice (I used almond)
- 100g chocolate ice cream (I used booja booja vegan)
- Make up a small cup of strong black coffee. Leave to cool. Add 150 ml to the blender.
- Add the milk and chocolate ice cream to the blender and blitz.
So simple, but sooo good.
Happy summer days everyone!
by Ella Easton – For more recipes, visit her blog at www.rabbityfood.blogspot.co.uk